How to hire a voice over artist
You might have a rockin’ script, but if the voice behind your message is not strong, it can have a direct impact on your sales. And let’s face it, all videos – corporate, marketing, educational, and promotional – have a message they want to sell.
Graphics and animation on a video are more than just window dressing – they are what captures your audience and gets them to watch. But your voice-over and script is what gets them to invest, be it time or money.
Think of your voice-over artist as your brand’s online ambassador. Their voice is often the first point of contact for your customers, especially if your video is uploaded onto your home-page or promoted through social media channels. Within a sales context, it’s even more important to have the ‘correct’ voice represent you – videos as sales tools are a proven and powerful means of converting prospects into customers.
So how do you select the correct voice for your message? Here are 5 ways to help you finalize voice-over talent for your project’s needs:
- ???Share your script:?If you have a script finalized, then it’s useful to email a copy to the hiring agency. This way, they can recommend the best voice for the job. Some of the things you might want to discuss are whether you’d prefer a male voice or a female one, if you’d like a softer voice or a louder one, and the kind of tone – friendly or lighthearted, that you think would work.
- ???Brainstorm ideas:?If you have images or music you’ll be using that you can share, this would help the artist visualize the scene much better. All ideas you have go a long way in helping them paint the mood you’d like to depict, so don’t be shy to share them.
- ???Specify your target audience: Who will the video be viewed by? Will your audience comprise of teachers? Students? Corporate executives? Sales reps? Voice artists will use different voices depending on the kind of video they’re producing, and also depending on the audience they are producing it for.
- ???Clarify your audio file requirements: Will the video be uploaded to YouTube? Will it be used in a presentation? Uploaded onto your website? And how would you like the format to be delivered? In an easily accessible mp3 format?
- ???Confirm the process in advance:?Different agencies work differently, so it’s important to confirm that your requirements match up to their operational procedures. Would you get auditions? Can you gain access to voice samples? If you don’t like the voice, what are the procedures to change it?
Most agencies are willing to cooperate with you on helping you make the best decision for your needs. If an agency is experienced, you might also feel comfortable leaving them to make the final decision.
A standard process for a recording session will generally include:
- ?????????Preparation – the voice artist will go though the script and clarify any questions they have.
- ?????????Recording – the session is then recorded
- ?????????Editing – the final recording is edited and cleaned up, and is ready to be delivered.
Remember a voice-over is used not only in advertising videos, but also in telephone messages, in audio books, and radio commercials. So if you are thinking of creating a strong message to promote your brand or jump-start your sales, considering hiring a voice-over talent to deliver it.